Online Communications Internship
Online Communications Internship
Type: Part Time Internship, Unpaid
Duration: 3 months, (with potential to extend)
Start Date: Immediate
The Online Communications Intern will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the main Worldwatch website (www.worldwatch.org), the online data service Vital Signs Online, and all social media platforms. Tasks include overseeing the day-to-day maintenance and operation of the Institute's digital content, working with outside technical support as needed.
The ideal candidate will have experience in website management, implementation, and maintenance. Interest and background in environmental issues and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal, Wordpress, and Google Analytics are desired. S/he must be able to thrive in a team-oriented environment, working closely with all departments of the organization.
Under the supervision of the Communications Manager, the Online Communications Intern will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate with research and communications teams to publish or repurpose daily content on the website, including blogs, announcements, e-newsletters, publications, memos, and video/multimedia content;
- Work closely with the marketing department in developing online marketing campaigns, including developing branding and messaging to ensure consistency with Worldwatch’s marketing goals;
- Execute web and e-mail promotions and ensure that the online bookstore integrates best practices for shopping transactions;
- Work with the development team to develop and publicize outreach events;
- Maintain the Institute’s social media, including updating Facebook, Flickr, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, industry blogs, and associated websites.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience managing Content Management System (CMS)-driven web and e-commerce applications. Drupal, InDesign, and Wordpress experience preferred;
- Experience with e-mail newsletters and campaigns;
- Knowledge of photo editing software;
- Experience editing and posting video content;
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite, Ubercart, and Google Analytics a strong plus;
- Solid writing ability;
- Awareness of and interest in global sustainability topics, ideally with demonstrated experience and education in environmental sciences and/or activism.
Location: Washington, D.C. The Worldwatch office is a few minutes' walk from Dupont Circle and its Red Line Metro stop.
To Apply: Please send your resume, a brief cover letter describing your related work experience, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include "Online Communications Internship" in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
About Worldwatch: The Worldwatch Institute is an internationally recognized nonprofit organization that blends interdisciplinary research, a global focus, and accessible writing—making it a leading source of information on the interactions among key environmental, social, and economic trends. Our work aims to speed the shift to an environmentally sustainable and socially just society, and lays out a roadmap for how to achieve that vision.