Mark Konold, Project Manager
Manager, Caribbean Project
Mark works as a Project Manager for Worldwatch’s Climate and Energy program, coordinating and executing initiatives for its Low-Carbon Development Strategies. Included in this work is the generation of Sustainable Energy Roadmaps for the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Jamaica. Mark is responsible for integrating the project’s various resources and coordinating the activities undertaken by Worldwatch and its project partners in the creation of country Roadmaps. Mark is also a regular contributor to Climate and Energy’s Re|Volt blog and Worldwatch’s Vital Signs series.
Prior to joining Worldwatch, Mark worked in Chicago for Motorola’s Automotive and Industrial Electronics Group contributing to the group’s initial electric battery research. Later he went on to work as a network administrator for LandAmerica Financial Group, a nationwide real estate insurance company. In 2005, he switched from the private to the non-profit sector where he helped create, build, and lead new initiatives for various education- and arts-based organizations in the city. He then moved to Jamaica and worked as a volunteer for a missionary group responsible for a high school, a local clinic, and an orphanage. It was there that he first became interested in the potential of renewable energy for creating robust growth in developing areas and the intersection of its technical, economic, and policy aspects.
Mark holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Marquette University and an M.A. in International Relations from the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS). As a participant in SAIS’s Bologna and D.C. programs, he focused on International Economics, Energy Resources, and Conflict Management. Additionally, Mark is a certified Project Management Professional through the Project Management Institute.
Vital Signs Online
- "Global Wind Power Takes a Breather in 2011." Vital Signs Online. June 30, 2011.
- "Jamaica Changes Its Government, but What About its Energy Strategy?" January 27, 2012.
- "A Bold Call to Action: The Dominican Republic's Climate-Compatible Development Plan." September 28, 2011.
- "Wington Wind Farm: Jamaica's Commitment to Renewable Energy Starts Paying Off." September 14, 2011.
- "No Problem? Worldwatch is Introduced to Jamaica." August 25, 2011.
- "A Triumverate of Progress for the Dominican Republic's Energy Sector." August 01, 2011.
- "Significant Milestone Achieved in Low-Carbon Roadmap Project." June 20, 2011.
- "Can the Caribbean Create a Common Electricity Market?" May 25, 2011.
- "The Potential to Energize the Dominican Republic." April 22, 2011.
- "Financing a Transition to a Low-Carbon Future." March 03, 2011.
- "A Journey of A Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Roadmap." February 16, 2011.
- "Cuba Takes Steps to Go 'Petro Libre.'" February 02, 2011.
- "Islands of Leadership in a Sea of Mediocrity." January 06, 2011.
- "Renewable Energy not a 'Competing' Priority in Haiti." December 30, 2010.
- "If it IS Broken, Fix It: Developing a Low-Carbon Energy Roadmap for Haiti." November 29, 2010.