Michael Renner, Senior Researcher, Environment and Society Program
Michael Renner is a Senior Researcher at the Worldwatch Institute. His work has principally focused on two topics: the connections between environment and employment (green jobs/green economy), and linkages between the environment and peace and conflict. Michael currently serves as co-director, with Tom Prugh and Gary Gardner, of the State of the World series. He also manages the Institute's Vital Signs series, an online and print publication.
In 2007–2008, Michael was the lead author of a report on green jobs commissioned by the United Nations Environment Programme. He is also consulting for the International Labour Organization and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). He was lead author of IRENA's 2012 report on Renewable Energy Job and Access and is one of the main authors of Renewable Energy and Jobs, released at the World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi in January 2014. Michael has given presentations on green jobs around the world. In 2005–2007, Michael directed Worldwatch’s Global Security Project, which included the 2005 edition of State of the World, and a 2007 report on natural disasters and peacemaking.
Prior to joining Worldwatch in 1987, Michael was a Corliss Lamont Fellow at Columbia University, and a research associate at the World Policy Institute in New York City. Born and raised in Germany, Michael received his undergraduate degree in political science from the University of Konstanz in southern Germany, and a Master's degree in international relations from the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. He spent a year as an intern at the UN Center on Transnational Corporations in 1979–80.
Michael is a Senior Advisor to the Institute for Environmental Security (The Hague/Brussels) and is a member of the International Program Advisory Committee to CoCooN (Conflict and Cooperation over Natural Resources in Developing Countries) and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research.
- English (fluent)
- German (native)
- Dutch (basic)
- French (basic)
- Global Competitiveness in the Rail and Transit Industry, co-author with Gary Gardner. Worldwatch Institute. (Washington, DC: Apollo Alliance, and Northeastern University, September 2010).
- Toward a Transatlantic Green New Deal: Tackling the Climate and Economic Crises, co-author with Hilary French and Gary Gardner. Worldwatch Institute. (Washington, DC and Berlin, Heinrich Böll Stiftung, June 2009).
- Low Carbon Jobs for Europe: Current Opportunities and Future Prospects, report commissioned by World Wildlife Fund Europe (Brussels, June 2009).
- Green Jobs: Towards Decent Work in a Sustainable, Low-Carbon World, United Nations Environment Programme. (Nairobi, September 2008).
- Beyond Disasters: Creating Opportunities for Peace, co-author with Zoë Chafe. Worldwatch Report 173. (Washington, DC, June 2007).
- “Environmental Security: The Policy Agenda,” in Robert Picciotto and Rachel Weaving (eds.), Security and Development. Investing in Peace and Prosperity (London and New York: Routledge, 2006).
- “The New Geopolitics of Oil,” Development, Vol. 43, No. 3 (September 2006).
- “Security Redefined,” in State of the World 2005, Worldwatch Institute (New York: W.W. Norton & Co., 2005).
- The Anatomy of Resource Wars, Worldwatch Paper 162. (Washington, DC, October 2002).